UNIX-based DBMS wanted

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Sun Feb 5 15:28:04 AEST 1989

In article <7556 at ihlpf.ATT.COM> olaf at ihlpf.ATT.COM (Henjum) writes:
>I would like to able to get a copy of UNIX-based DBMS for the 3B1/7300
>that is NOT the Smart Database Manager.
>
>I have seen references to DBASE III in this newsgroup.
>Is this version under UNIX or does it require the DOS-73 board?
>Are there any other good DBMS out there that run ON UNIX?
>
>Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.

DBASE III runs under UNIX, all right.  I have it but have barely used
it.  I have heard that it has lots of bugs, is not supported, and has
not been updated since the first release.  I will probably get flamed
if I'm wrong about that, so I've got on my asbestos BVDs.

There is also Progress, which I have used quite a bit, and which I know
is supported, and which I like a lot.  It does a whole lot more than
DBASE even tries to do, but it is not all that cheap.  It is multi-user
on the 3b1, and source compatible with versions for MS-DOS, most UNIX
flavors, and VMS.  There is a run-time version available.

Contact Progress Software, Inc, at 617-275-4500.  I have no connection
with them other than as a user.