Help on a CTIX machine

Terry Hull terry at eecea.eece.ksu.edu
Thu Feb 23 01:05:41 AEST 1989

In article <2592 at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> mikes at ncsuvx.ncsu.edu.UUCP (Michael Steele) writes:

>  3) Has anyone seen a PD korn shell for the CTIX machines?
There are NO public-domain versions of ksh available.  It (ksh source)
can be purchased from AT&T Toolchest for several thousand dollars.
Aspen Technologies sells ksh binaries for $150-$350 depending on
the target machine.  Send e-mail if you would like a phone number.

>  It is my understanding that later versions of Sys V support the Korn
>  shell.
System V Release 4 will include ksh.

>  Is it true
>  that AT&T distributes UNIX free to universities...I assume this
>  information is VERY old, or do they still do it.

No it's not free, but it is much less than the commercial price.
University price is only a few thousand dollars.

>  If so, how would one go
>  about upgrading their software and can we get kernal source?
Remember, you are not running SysV, you are running CTIX.  Not only will
you need SysV sources, you will also need the Convergent customizations
to the standard source if you want to build a new kernel for your
machine.  I think the problem will be getting the sources from
Convergent.

--
Terry Hull                    Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
                                           Kansas State University