lp skipping pages

wtr at moss.ATT.COM wtr at moss.ATT.COM
Tue Feb 21 07:59:39 AEST 1989

hello!

gotta small problem with my newly installed printer on my
3b1.

hardware:
	unixpc 40Meg/2Meg under 3.51 (no fix disk)
	epson LQ-500 printer (parallel)

whenever i send a text file to the printer (using either lp or
writing directly to /dev/lp), it will print the first page fine,
but then i get a form feed right after the first 67 lines.  this
is with or without using 'pr'.

i have triple checked the printer switches.  auto skip over
preforations is *off*.

as a further test, i produced a file of just line numbers from
1 to 200.  dumping this to lp did *not* produce a break. (!?)

next, i switched the printer to use an 8K print buffer.  the first
four pages printed okay, followed by everyother page being skipped.

(methinks this points to the printer buffer on the epson?)

has anwone else encountered behavior like this?  any solutions?
post or email, and i'll summarize.

thanx for the help

Bill Rankin
Bell Labs, Whippany NJ