unexplained cores after compiles

Scot E Wilcoxon sewilco at datapg.MN.ORG
Fri Feb 17 14:51:07 AEST 1989

In article <3986 at cbnews.ATT.COM> res at cbnews.ATT.COM (Robert E. Stampfli) writes:
>I have noticed that occasionally I will get a core dump immediately after
>invoking a program on the Unix-PC, usually upon trying to run it after
>it has just finished compiling.  Simply reinvoking the program without
>however, all running version 3.5 of the Unix-PC operating system.

Under 3.5 I was having the same problem regularly.  I was compiling under
make(1) and during the compilations I'd type the name of the program.  As
soon as the make finished, the freshly compiled program would often
core dump instead of executing.  A `sleep 15` stopped the problem.
--
Scot E. Wilcoxon  sewilco at DataPg.MN.ORG    {amdahl|hpda}!bungia!datapg!sewilco
Data Progress 	 UNIX masts & rigging  +1 612-825-2607    uunet!datapg!sewilco