Misc. 3b1/7300 Questions

Wolf Paul wnp at killer.DALLAS.TX.US
Sat Feb 18 04:32:12 AEST 1989

Thanks a lot to all of you who responded to my "Novice Questions" article.

Here are a few more questions:

1. Is there any upgrade path for the built-in modem, to 2400 baud?

2. Is there an easy way to dial the built-in modem, i.e. when using
   a comm program not designed for the UNIX-PC, but with a "$" type
   shell escape, which connects the shell command's stdin/stdout to
   the modem?

   I am used to a program called Xcomm/Xcmalt by Larry Gensch and
   others, and with a hayes type modem you would just type the AT
   commands. I'd like to use it with the 3b1's builtin modem, if at
   all possible.

3. Is there a way of completely circumventing the user agent, and to
   start the machine up with, say, 4 windows, all running getty, so
   one can log in four times, a la PC6300 or other 286 Unix versions?

4. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has software which is
   particularly useful on the 3b1, and would be willing to share it.
   This system (killer) has archives of unix-pc.sources beginning in
   Aug. 87 -- anything posted to this group before them would be
   of interest, as well as archived articles from unix-pc.general
   (which are not archived on killer!).

5. I would also appreciate personal contact with any 3b1/7300 users in
   the Dallas/Ft Worth area.

Thanks!

Wolf Paul
UUCP:   killer!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp at killer.dallas.tx.us       TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD