Sendmail source is being posted to unix-pc.sources

David H. Brierley dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US
Sat Feb 25 12:19:46 AEST 1989

Due to the overwhelming response to my previous message, I will be posting
the source for the sendmail program to unix-pc.sources.  If you have never
used sendmail before, or even if you have, I suggest you get a copy of the
documentation before attempting to use the program.  The documentation is
available from your friendly neighborhood BSD site or from me via public
uucp.  The sources that I will be posting have already been configured for
an ATT unix-pc (aka 3b1, 7300) and you should be able to compile them with
no changes, given a few caveats.  The program requires a directory reading
package and is configured to use the Doug Gwyn directory package which I
recently posted to unix-pc.sources.  The makefile assumes that the directory
package is stored in "-ldir".  I dont think there is anything else that is
dependent on my particular software configuration but I dont make any
guarantees about it.  This code has been compiled without problem on my
system, your mileage may vary.

The source code will be posted in eight parts, with one additional message
containing a sample sendmail.cf file.  I will NOT be posting the 200K of
sample cf files supplied by UCB and I will not be posting any of the
documentation files.  If you feel you absolutely have to have these things,
get them from Berkeley.

Now, to answer a couple of the questions that people have raised.

1. Origin:  this version of sendmail was originally ported to system V
release 3.1 by Allyn Fratkin at U.C. San Diego.  Basically all I did is to
make it work with the 7300/3B1, a task which took less than a day.

2. Copyright: this code is copyrighted by UCB but redistribution is allowed.
The headers on these particular source files just say that they are
copyrighted by UCB but in the 5.61 version they have clarified this to allow
the code to be freely redistributable.  Since the code that this version is
based on has been available for anonymous ftp from UCB ever since it was
released, I dont see how they could claim otherwise.  If you are at all
queasy about copyright notices you might want to wait for the 5.61 version.

3. Security: this version DOES HAVE THE SECURITY HOLES in it.  Since most of
the 3B1s that I know of do not have ethernet they will also not want to have
the SMTP code enabled.  The configuration files that I have supplied do not
have SMTP enabled.  If you do have an ethernet, and you want to use the SMTP
mode, you should get the security patches from someone (I think Keith Bostic
posted them to the ucb-fixes newsgroup) or you can wait for the 5.61
version.

4. Future:  As you may have guessed from some of the things I have already
said, I intend to bring up the new 5.61 version on my 3B1.  I have
downloaded the code already and have started to look at it.  I dont
anticipate any real problems other than finding the time to work on it.

5. FTP access: I am not on the Internet so I cannot provide FTP access.  I
am attempting to make arrangements for FTP access but I dont have any news
yet.  If any of you kind souls out there are willing to take the postings an
make them available for FTP, that would be appreciated.

If you have any questions about all of this, or any problems installing the
software, send me mail and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Good luck and happy mailing.
--
David H. Brierley
Home: dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US   {rayssd,xanth,lazlo,jclyde}!galaxia!dave