UNaXcess BBS on a UNIX-PC

Bob Breum bob at cmpfen.UUCP
Fri Feb 10 11:54:20 AEST 1989

In article <174 at cmpfen.UUCP> bob at cmpfen.UUCP (Bob Breum) writes:
>I am trying to install UNaXcess 1.00.02 on my AT&T UNIX-pc, running system
>software version 3.5.  I have compiled it, installed it, and it works --
>with one major problem.  When you first start it, it asks you to register,
>either as GUEST, NEW, or by your existing ID.  If I enter either GUEST or
>SYSOP (the only current existing ID), everything works just fine.  But if
>I try to register as a new user using NEW, all succeeding prompts are
>garbled:  They print every other character of the prompt down the left margin
>of the terminal.  This same behavior happened when I compiled it with the old

Many thanks to Rick Connally (sp?), who had had this same problem and was
kind enough to contact me by voice to explain the (simple) solution.  It
seems that the original distribution had an error in the "install.sh",
which set up the original user file ("userfile") for user "new" with a
line length of two.  Changing this to 40 or 80 quickly cures the problem.

This may have been reported shortly after UNaXcess 1.00.02 was released,
but all I had to work with was the original posting to comp.sources.misc.

--
Computer Fenestrations						      Bob Breum
Post Office Box 151		{uiucuxc|hoptoad|petsd|ucf-cs}!peora!cmpfen!bob