Compiling CRISP1.9 on UNIXPC

Karl Botts kdb at chinet.chi.il.us
Sat Jul 1 17:27:09 AEST 1989

In article <1989Jun29.172536.3248 at ivucsb.sba.ca.us> todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day) writes:
>I'm having problems compiling CRISP on a UNIXPC (3.50).  I keep
>getting
>warning: enumeration type clash

I have crisp1.9 as it came over the net a couple of weeks ago compiled and
running.  I did not have the problem you mention but I do remember reading
something about it in the files--grep for "[Ee]numeration".

This sort of brings up another question: what are the C compiler options
for the 3b1?  Is there an ANSI compiler, short of GNU, available?
I just don't want to go through the struggle of bringing up a beta test
compiler, especially such a huge one.  Which brings up another question:
Why is all the GNU software so darned massive?  I guess I tend to mistrust
software which is the biggest by a factor of several in its department.
For programs, as for most works of literature, I tend to the view that all
other things being equal, smaller is better.  I note that the massive size
of the GNU software is not just all the pre-processor stuff to support so
many machines--half the messages on the net about it are people reporting
running out of memory or other resources at run-time.  So how come?

What is shcc?