Question about 3b1/7300 memory upgrade

Peter Fales psfales at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Fri Jul 28 14:42:26 AEST 1989

In article <774 at galaxia.Newport.RI.US>, dave at galaxia.Newport.RI.US (David H. Brierley) writes:
> I have a machine with 1 meg of ram on the motherboard and I know that I can
> upgrade to 2 meg by filling in all the empty slots.

Well, if you are willing to trade some time for dollars, and feel
comfortable with a soldering iron there is another alternative.
One meg machines have room on the motherboard for 2 megs of RAM:  You
can upgrade for the price of 36 256K DRAM's and a few miscellaneous
components.  It does take a lot of time to remove the solder from
36*18 holes and then solder the chips in, but it works.  I did it
to my system, and posted the instructions to the a net a while back.

It turned out there are two styles of one meg boards.  One was designed
for one or two megs, the other was designed only for 512K or 2 meg, so
they had to put in some extra wires for the one meg system.  The former
is easier to upgrade, but I have some notes from someone who upgraded
the second style also.

--
Peter Fales			AT&T, Room 5B-420
				2000 N. Naperville Rd.