Nethack 3.0 compile hassle

Dave Shevett shevett at labii.UUCP
Mon Jul 31 14:32:34 AEST 1989

Ok - I get all set up "Gee!  Nethack 3.0!  And LOOK!  It'll run on my
little ol 7300.  How sweet."

Many edits, shars, and tinkers later, I get the following compiler error:

	cc -O -I../include -c apply.c
Assember: apply.c
aline   359 : branch offset is too remote
*** Error code 1
Stop

Grrr.  I can handle normal errors - this one threw me.  Not knowing 'c'
beyond the 'hello world' stage, I dropped the whole shebang and shelved it
until I could run up Pnews.

Here's the config:  3b1 w/1.5 meg Ram, 67 meg drv, 3.5 OS.

Config.h shows:

#define	UNIX		/* delete if no fork(), exec() available */
#define STUPID		/* avoid some complicated expressions if
#define STUPID_CPP	/* use many small functions instead of macros to

Somewhere it said to define STUPID_CPP - in unixconf.h?

#define SYSV		/* define for System V */
#define UNIXPC		/* use in addition to SYSV for AT&T 7300/3B1 */
			/* also note that the stock cpp qualifies as a
			   STUPID_CPP for config.h */

Yah - thats where it was - Am I missing something goofy here?  Has anyone
else had hassles running up on the 3b1?

|    Dave Shevett    |  between two puns is a | Labyrinth II BBS |
| shevett at labii.UUCP |  straight line...'     |  W. Trenton, NJ  |