3B1/7300: iv does not support more than 1024 cylinders

CME Ned Nowotny ned at pebbles.cad.mcc.com
Thu Jul 27 13:37:29 AEST 1989

I finally completed the upgrade of my 7300 with a WD2010 and a MS3085
hard disk drive.  In the process, I looked into using iv to format the
disk instead of the "new" s4diag program that Thad posted.

Well, it turns out that iv, just like the stock s4diag, has the 1024
cylinder limit of the stock hardware hard coded.  I was able to get
iv to try a format of my (one and only) hard disk by creating a
floppy disk boot file system with the iv program included, making a
link of /dev/rfp000 to /dev/rhd, and preparing a description file
for my disk.  The link allowed me to try and format the hard disk
without getting the complaint that iv will not format the hard disk.
However, iv refused to format the disk when it encountered the 1170
cylinder entry in my description file.

In summary, you can create a floppy based file system to support repair
of your hard disk, but you still must use the recently posted "new" s4diag
to reformat a hard disk drive with more than 1024 cylinders.

Ned Nowotny, MCC CAD Program, Box 200195, Austin, TX  78720  Ph: (512) 338-3715
ARPA: ned at mcc.com                   UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!ned