Hard Disk questions

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sun Jul 2 10:39:55 AEST 1989

Re: Ed Horch's question about my table showing HD capacities at both 17 and
16 sectors per track for the UNIXPC ...

Yes, that appears to be how the bad blocks are "spared out" on the UNIXPC.
The system (at least 3.51) uses 1K blocks and lays down 8 of those (16 sectors)
per track.

>From one point of view, we're losing 1/17 the capacity of our HDs on the UNIXPC
because of this scheme (scam? :-)

I've never seen a (new) HD with more than, say, 20 factory-reported bad sectors
yet (assuming a mongo Maxtor with 312,120 sectors), a LOT are being "wasted."

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]