Ularn working anywhere?

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Wed Jul 19 00:54:35 AEST 1989

In article <15171 at watdragon.waterloo.edu> hjespersen at trillium.waterloo.edu (Hans Jespersen) writes:
>Has anybody managed to get Ularn ( posted in comp.sources.games )
>to work on a 3b1/UNIXpc yet. I can compile ok with the stock cc
>(once I remove the -M option) but when I try to run Ularn I run
>out off swap space. This is on a 3b1 with 2MB of memory. To be
>honest I haven't looked over the code at all yet ( no fames please,
>I'm busy writting 'asteroids' ). Would some kind sole who has this
>baby working please let me know what I'm doing wrong.

Yes, I got it up on kosman.  I'm afraid I won't be getting any work done
for a week or so now.

I used gcc, so I don't know how much my experience will help.  All I had
to do was supply the -fwritable-strings switch to gcc to accomodate the
fact that Ularn insists on modifying its string "constants".

I also fiddled a bit with the display to get solid walls instead of #.

I dunno what you're doing wrong.  I do have the opinion that for all the
traffic in gnu.gcc.bugs that gcc is now less buggy than stock cc.  I was
quite annoyed with all the fiddling I had to do to get HACK to compile
on cc, and I never was able to use bitfields.

Good luck.