Cheap big disk recommendations?

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Fri Jul 28 16:59:21 AEST 1989

Bob Wilber asks:

"	Now that everybody who's anybody is getting a WD2010, this seems like
	a good time to ask:  Where's a good place to get a good price on a
	high capacity disk, like a Maxtor XT1140 or XT2190?  (Maybe another
	group buy is in order?)
"

Operating and managing a "group buy" is an experience I recommend that everyone
do.

ONCE!

:-)  :-)   :-)

Seriously, the place I've bought most of my HDs (the big Maxtors) (and this is
after a LOT of shopping around) is:

	Weird Stuff Inc.    (aka Surplus Solutions aka Computer Surplus Store)
	715 Sycamore Drive
	Milpitas, CA  95035    tel: 408/434-0168, fax: 408/434-0931

They advertise in BYTE, Nuts 'N' Volts, Microtimes, and Computer Currents, among
other places, and you see their gaudy flourescent orange and black billboards
along Cal HiWay 237 between the Blue Cube and Milpitas.

They stock BRAND NEW Maxtors, Conners, Quantums, Microscience, etc.  All the
really GOOD drives.  With ST506/412 (for UNIXPC), SCSI, ESDI and SMD interfaces.
They also have refurbished/reconditioned drives for those who are more budget
conscious.

This place is mind-boggling; over 100,000 square feet of floor space, and the
ceilings are 40-50 feet high (and the shelves DO go almost to the ceiling).
Sheesh; they even stock 20-foot-diameter steamship propellers in case you
damage yours while water-skiing through the Suez or Panama Canals!  :-)
I think they even have one of Bob Truax' rockets in the back someplace; Bob
Truax (local resident here) is the guy that mfd Evel Knievel's rocket cycle
for the canyon leap, and mfd the first "commercial" manned rocket (was written
up in OMNI a bunch of years ago); I almost invested in that myself, but
couldn't scrounge up $100 thou.

This is the same place that bought out MOST of Convergent's excess inventory
(for example: 50 pallets of 10 each of UNIXPC keyboards, and they're still
selling them for $25 each).  The NEW drives all come with mfr's warranties,
and I've SEEN them drive a customer direct to Maxtor to pick up a replacement
drive for one that didn't work in the customer's system (even though, in my
opinion, it was the customer who damaged the drive).

The co-owner is Jim Scheutz, and I've helped him with his UNIXPC and his Amiga.
If you call either Jim or the guy in the disk drive department, mention my name
as an introduction and mention you saw this posting on Usenet.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]