Mtools on 3.5 drive

Todd Day todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us
Thu Jul 20 12:51:32 AEST 1989

I would like to modify the latest release of Mtools so it
will work with 3.5" MS-DOS disks.  The relevant changes
have to be made to init.c, but I do not know what the
FAT types are for 3.5 disks.  When I tried to read a 3.5
disk, I get:

Unknown format 'f9'
mdir: Cannot initialize diskette

Now, I've looked in init.c and it seems like it would be
easy to change if I knew what all the relevant parameters
were for MS-DOS 3.5" disks.

		case 0xfd:		/* 40 trk, 9 sect, 2 sides */
			dir_start = 5;
			dir_len = 7;
			clus_size = 2;
			fat_len = 2;
			num_clus = 354;
			gdbuf.params.heads = 2;
			gdbuf.params.psectrk = 9;
			gdbuf.params.pseccyl = 18;
			break;

I suspect that for 80 tracks, all I would have to do is change
num_clus, but I really have no idea.  Anyone?

--

"Like a pillar of cloud, the smoke lingers	| Todd Day
 High in the air				| todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us
 In fascination - with the eyes of the world	| ivucsb!todd at anise.acc.com
 We stare ..."  -- Neil Peart of Rush, from "Countdown" on _Signals_