Tape backup doesn't restore modification time

Mark Dapoz mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP
Tue Jul 11 12:43:34 AEST 1989

I finally had to use the 3B1 streaming tape to restore a complete section of
my file system.  I've used it to restore single files before but for some
reason it never occured to me that the /usr/bin/Trestore.sh program doesn't
preserve the file modification time.  Quickly looking at the shell script
reveals that it doesn't supply the -m flag to tapecpio!  Now if you're
restoring something like /usr/bin it's not very nice to set all the modification
times to the current date.  So beware, either add the -m flag or live with
having all the modifcation times messed up.  Has anyone written a good tape
backup utility for the 3B1?  The utilities supplied by AT&T really leave a
lot to be desired.
--
  Mark Dapoz  (mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP)  ...uunet!{mnetor dptcdc}!hybrid!mdapoz

I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy.
	   -- Spock, "The Apple," stardate 3715.6.