_assert and shlib.ifile

Roger Taranto roger at binky.uucp
Fri Jul 7 08:31:41 AEST 1989

In article <8871 at chinet.chi.il.us> kdb at chinet.chi.il.us (Karl Botts) writes:
>In article <641 at binky.UUCP> roger at binky.UUCP (Roger Taranto) writes:
>>Is _assert in the shlib?
>assert() is a macro.

I said _assert, not assert.  If you look at the definition of assert() in
<assert.h>, you'll see that it calls _assert.  _assert is in /lib/libc.a;
however, it is not in shlib.ifile.  So, if you want to link a program that
uses assert with the shared library, you have to extract assert.o from
libc.a and link that in with your program.

I was wondering if assert was in the shared library, and someone forgot to
put it into the shlib.ifile, just like what happened with the daylight symbol.

-Roger
roger at binky.UUCP	...!{pacbell,ucbcad,rtech}!binky!roger