HELP ... with 7300 printer device

Jeffrey J Wieland wieland at ea.ecn.purdue.edu
Tue Jul 18 03:02:52 AEST 1989

In article <124 at UNIXPC.UUCP> tcamp at UNIXPC.UUCP (Ted Campbell) writes:

>I seem to be having trouble with my newly upgraded Unix PC motherboard
>and/or printer drivers.  Any suggestions will be appreciated.
>
>The printer doesn't work.  When I 'cat' a file to /dev/rawlp,
>the first line of the file is printed, and a line feed (no CR)
>is given.  When I 'cat' a file to /dev/lp, six or seven random
>characters from the first line are printed, then a formfeed
>is issued.
>
>The failure has only occurred after I myself have installed a
>motherboard.  ANy idea what I might be doing wrong in installation
>that would account for this nonsense?
>
>The parallel printer test on the diagnostics disk appears to work
>perfectly.

We have seen three 3b1's with this problem.  One of them had it
from the day it was delivered by AT&T, the others "developed" it
after the motherboards were replaced for other reasons.

I seems that AT&T is not checking the motherboards out very well
after they replace them.  All of these machines would pass
diagnostics; none of them could print properly.  We have also
had problems with "new" motherboards having bad serial ports.
In both instances, the port could send data but would not receive
any data.

Don's assume that the replacement motherboard is any better than
the one you took out.
--
			    Jeff Wieland
			wieland at ecn.purdue.edu