Too much cross-posting?

John Wilkes wilkes at mips.COM
Thu Jul 20 16:23:59 AEST 1989

In article <1677 at sialis.mn.org> rjg at sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) writes:

>basically fallen into three options?
>
>	1/ Ignore the whole issue (again)
>	2/ Get "backbone" (mainstream) distribution for unix-pc.all
>	3/ Create a mainstream group, such as comp.sys.att.unixpc
>	   and dump the unix-pc heirarchy
>
>--
>________Robert J. Granvin________        INTERNET: rjg at sialis.mn.org

ignoring the issue won't make it go away; the unix-pc is a dead product,
but there will continue to be machines in use for at least a couple of
years.

is a unix-pc feed any harder to get than, say, an alt feed?  a gnu feed?
don't most backbones carry the alt and gnu groups?  in fact, don't most
backbones carry unix-pc?  or am i spoiled because i work in one of the
centers of the universe?  ;-)  i believe that mr. granvin is correct when
he asserts that a feed is simple to obtain if you know who to ask.  when i
came to mips a couple of years ago, we did not get unix-pc; it took about
two weeks, and we picked it up from a site with which we were already
exchanging mail.  now there's a unix-pc owner in our sysadmin group, so i'm
sure our feed is safe.

it appears to me that the discussion boils down to this: i have seen no
compelling argument for keeping the unix-pc groups somehow separate from
the other babel.  on the other hand, i have seen a compelling reason to
change the way things are now.  comp.sys.att is ridiculous.  it needs to be
subdivided.  after all, there's comp.sys.cbm and comp.sys.amiga, but
the amiga is a commodore product.  there's comp.sys.mac and comp.sys.apple.
there's comp.sys.atari.{8bit,st} and i'm sure other examples can be found.

i read comp.sys.att, just to catch the unix-pc stuff that didn't make it to
unix-pc.whatever.  (yes, our rn works properly.  no, i hardly ever see
duplicate postings, and the ones i do see were actually posted twice by
some net.novice.)  i'm rather tired of having to wade through all the 3b2
and pc6300 etc. postings.  the 3b2 postings have really tapered off, and i
suspect it's because we've chased them into their own mailing list.

would somebody please go read the directions and issue a formal call for
discussion to split comp.sys.att into something sensible like
comp.sys.att.3b1 comp.sys.att.3b2 and comp.sys.att.6386 (or whatever.)
--
-wilkes

wilkes at mips.com   -OR-   {ames, decwrl, pyramid}!mips!wilkes