Inode fixes & single user woes : was (3b1 40meg disk woes: Help)

Dave Shevett shevett at labii.UUCP
Thu May 11 01:12:10 AEST 1989

In article <1762 at gbmatl.UUCP> gbm at gbmatl.UUCP (Root) writes:
>In article <1989May5.150438.13740 at ziebmef.uucp} cks at ziebmef.UUCP (Chris Siebenmann) writes:
>}In article <17733 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>} Do these actually accumulate on the UNIX-PC? I try to keep my system
>
>I've run into the disappearing inode problem.  I shutdown to let fsck run
>and it cleared the problem up.

I do too, but it's awfully annoying.  The biggest margin I've had happened
last night when I came home to find 0 (count 'em 0) I-nodes free.  I
promptly killed off a few hundred files and ran an Expire (running News,
a BBS, 3 terminals, and other goodies on a 67 meg drive with 1.5 meg RAM,
v3.5 sys).  Expire ended, and I logged in again - Whoa!  18000 free blocks,
but only 238 free Inodes.  ("cant be right" sez I) - I reboot.

Fsck runs twice, and a lot of hemmin and hawin while it does so, and a
quick login shows 18800 free blocks, and, lo and behold, 6200 Inodes.

I can handle a few inodes lost a day, but 6000???  That's half my table.
Is there any way to recover these things without shutting down???  I kind
of like having the high PID counts :-)

PS - Can anyone send me their cron entry for expire?  I have a shell I
run (Expshell) that runs 3 expires.  I've had hassles putting it in cron.
I'd like it to run every other day. (normally I do a 'nohup ksh Expshell
&')

| Dave Shevett   |  between two puns is a  |  Labyrinth II BBS    |
| W. Trenton, NJ |    straight line..."    | shevett at labii.UUCP   |