3b1 40meg disk woes: Help

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Tue May 9 14:26:04 AEST 1989

In article <480 at becker.UUCP> bdb at becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker [and others]) write:
>	The main problem seems to be that fsck *always* runs
>	twice at reboot time. I'm not sure why that is, but I
>	seem to recall that it did not happen "at the beginning",
>	but started happening fairly early on.

If you look at the stock /etc/rc in the UNIX-pc, I believe that it
redirects the output from fsck to a file called /etc/.lastfsck.  If
this is the case, the fsck is writing to the filesystem while it is
being checked, which is not a real good idea.  If there are enough
"possible file size errors", it might be enough to fill the file beyond
a physical disk block and cause the machine to be rebooted and fsck'd
again.  This would be because the fsck found a file (/etc/.lastfsck)
become "sick" on the root filesystem while it was doing the fsck.

To solve this problem, you could redirect the fsck output to a window (which
you may not see in time).  You could also make the fsck execute in non-
windowed mode (like I do) without the -y option so that any problems in
the filesystem can be modified individually before rebooting.  This does
take some practice and understanding about the filesystem, but I've seen
many a UNIX-pc get munged by fscks gone berzerk.  In any event, to use the
/etc/fsck in non-windowed mode, you have to do the fsck before loading the
window driver at boot time .. this means modifying your /etc/rc file.
If you don't feel comfortable doing this, then don't.

There could be some other reason for the multiple-reboot...this is but
one.

-------