Floppy Boot, Filesystem, and Diags (was Re: 3.5" floppy disk revisited)

Jim Anderson jim at aob.aob.mn.org
Sun May 7 07:31:09 AEST 1989

In article <777 at jonlab.UUCP> jon at jonlab.UUCP (Jon H. LaBadie) writes:
>In article <698 at icus.islp.ny.us>, lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>If space becomes a premium on the floppy, a few blocks could be saved
>by linking mv to cp and ln, then changing permissions on them to
>match /bin/mv on the HD (4755, root owner).

At first, I thought this was a bad idea, as cp, ln may not be expecting
suid root permissions, but for this case, since the user on the floppy
disk should be root anyway, this should not be a problem (also, the programs
do not need to be suid at that point).
--
Jim Anderson			(612) 636-2869
Anderson O'Brien, Inc		New mail:jim at aob.mn.org
2575 N. Fairview Ave.		Old mail:{rutgers,gatech,amdahl}!bungia!aob!jim
St. Paul, MN  55113		"Fireball... Let me see... How did that go?"