Floppy Boot, Filesystem, and Diags (was Re: 3.5" floppy disk revisited)

Gary S. Trujillo gst at gnosys.UUCP
Mon May 8 09:47:28 AEST 1989

In article <678 at mitisft.Convergent.COM> dold at mitisft.Convergent.COM (Clarence Dold) writes:
> I don't think I would want /bin/mv as setuid root on my system.
> Kind of eliminates permissions on a directory.

Not really.  Merely having a program setuid does not imply that it is not
subject to the ordinary permissions-checking.  Depends on how it's written.
Judging from its behavior, "mv" is well-behaved to the extent of not over-
riding permissions checking on directories, even though it has the capability.
--
Gary S. Trujillo			      {linus,bbn,m2c}!spdcc!gnosys!gst
Somerville, Massachusetts		     {icus,ima,stech,wjh12}!gnosys!gst