UNIXPC Answering machine problem

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Tue May 16 14:31:48 AEST 1989

In article <10999 at netnews.upenn.edu> sdoyle at eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Scott A Doyle) writes:
>  I have a UNIXPC with a rev. 2.2 Voice Power board in it and am
>  using Answering Machine software. Every now and then when the machine
>  takes a message the message length is truncated.
>    Scott Doyle
>    U. of P.

I had a similar problem with this.  It seems that the library routines
which handle the silence detection are slightly braindamaged and will
sometimes detect people who speak in a monotone or softly, or an otherwise
quiet phone call as silence.  I believe there should be a slightly smaller
threshold used in the silence detection value comparison in that library
routine (haven't had time to investigate the proper fix).

I don't know how you fix the problem in the AT&T Answering Machine software.
I wrote my own answering machine program (to be posted to the net soon! as
soon as I'm done moving) .. the way I solved the problem was to scrap the
silence detection and just record 1 minute regardless.  I don't like
this idea, but I don't lose messages.

BTW:  An answering machine program is not hard to write if you start with
the sample "hotline" program that AT&T gives you...  The voice power board
is really one of the better pieces of work for the UNIX-pc.

-------