Recycling 3b1's (was: Re: Documented but un-obvious UNIX tr

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Wed Nov 15 23:35:22 AEST 1989

With reference to Message-ID: <3396 at eagle.wesleyan.edu>  8 Nov 89 21:49:55 GMT
posted by: flinton at eagle.wesleyan.edu
Concerning:

	In article <1989Nov6.141634.10216 at chinet.chi.il.us>,
	randy at chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) writes:

	> 	BTW, I was just on a tour of the AT&T distribution plant
	> 	in West Chicago, and saw thousands of 3b1's sitting there being
	> 	converted into something called "Master Control"  Seems AT&T
	> 	is buying back as many as they can find from VARS, etc.
	> 	Prices going up, perhaps???

	It was noted in a comp.dcom.telecom posting that's already expunged from
	our holdings here that AT&T seems to be putting unsold 3b1's to use as
	Starlan/Voicepower/PBX controllers.  Sorry I'm so vague, I didn't pay it
	that much mind the day that posting came my way.  For more accurate
	details, consult the TELECOM-Archives.

I checked the Telecom-Archives (cs.bu.edu [ IP 128.197.10.1 ]) and found:

	TELECOM Digest     Sat, 14 Oct 89 14:00:06 CDT    Volume 9 : Issue 447
	From: "Robert L. Oliver" <hutch!robert at cbmvax.commodore.com>
	Subject: Re: Phone Design For Humans
	Date: 5 Oct 89 02:36:21 GMT

	.... < in a discussion concerning the  AT&T System-25 PBX > ....

	BUT I LIKE THE SYSTEM 25.  Don't get me wrong...

	Trivia note: The "Master Console" (option, I believe) of the System 25
	is a re-labeled AT&T Unix PC!  Yes, the original AT&T/Convergent Tech.
	machine (was it called a system 7100 or something?) that was AT&T's
	much-touted Byte-front-covered not-so-huge success.

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]