WD2010 snafu on PC7300

Paul Homchick paul at cgh.UUCP
Mon Nov 20 07:15:42 AEST 1989

I spent a good part of this weekend with my 7300 in various pieces as I
was installing the P5.1 PAL and mod, and swapping the WD1010 for a
WD2010.  Using John Milton's detailed instructions (thanks, John!) I
managed to get everything done.  When I booted the machine, however, the
hard disk never came ready.  Everything else seemed to work, so I booted
the diagnostics disk and ran through the tests.  Everything else DID
work board revision P6 and all, but all of the HD tests failed.  Sigh.

So, I tore the whole thing apart and rechecked the wiring...  it looked
fine.  On a hunch, I swapped the WD1010 back in and, 'lo and behold, the
machine now worked.  Since I had purchased two of the WD2010 chips from
Thad's group buy (Thanks Floyd!), I tried the spare chip and got the
same dead HD symptoms.

So, either I have two bad WD2010 chips, which seems unlikely, or I have
a machine which won't work with a WD2010, or I bollixed something up
which is only a problem with a WD2010.  At this point I am getting way
over my head hardware-wise.

Does anyone have hard info on machines that won't work with the WD2010,
and what might be done to fix them?  Or, if it is something I did, does
anyone have any ideas?  And finally, would anyone volunteer to test the
two WD2010 chips to see if they work in another environment?

I have gone ahead and installed my Maxtor XT2190 as a XT1140, and I now
have 235520 blocks on my root partition, so this is a story with a
fairly happy ending.  But the XT2190 was $400 more than a XT1140 and it
would be nice to be able to get at the space.

Thanks for any and all help!

--
Paul Homchick                    :UUCP     {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.    :Internet           cgh!paul at manta.pha.pa.us
259 Radnor-Chester Rd, Suite 140 :MCI                               PHOMCHICK
Radnor, PA  19087-5299           :GEnie                              HOMCHICK