Where or where has my memory gone? (UNIX pc)

Steve Spearman spear at druco.ATT.COM
Sat Nov 11 02:09:56 AEST 1989

> In article <1020 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>>Well my machine was up for 30 days, 20 hours, 14 minutes and it just
>>flipped out! Things were running slowly.  Does memory get fragmented
>>like disks do?

As far as paging goes, the UnixPC definitely can page correctly.
I was running a 512K system for a while (yes, it was very painful)
and EVERYTHING would page out.

I really think the problem you are experiencing is related to
a system fault, not insufficient memory size.  I run for months
with 2.5 meg with no problems, but have nowhere near the amount
of drivers and load it sounds like you have.  Sounds like either
a driver bug or a real kernel bug.

At this point, a planned restart might be a reasonable option
rather than pursuing something that takes so long to reproduce.
Weekly or monthly would probably be fine.  I've seen others that
believe this is a good idea.

Steve Spearman  spear at booboo.att.com