7300 and 9600 baud modems (VT220 suggestion, and question)

John McMillan jcm at mtunb.ATT.COM
Thu Nov 30 01:19:23 AEST 1989

In article <4197 at eagle.wesleyan.edu> flinton at eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:
>In article <581 at limbic.UUCP>, gil at limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>>
>> A problem I *have* noticed is calling at Trailblazer speed to a system
>> from my VT100 *through* the UNIX-pc results in many lost characters
>> on my receiving end.  I'm not sure whether this is due to the 3B1 not
>> being able to handle 2 serial ports at high-speed, or the VT100 being
>> too slow and causing too many characters to be queued-up at the device
>> driver level.  In any event, forcing the Telebit speed to 9600 baud
>> doesn't fix the problem.

	Answer:  The 3B1 suffers overrun of the RS232 chip input
		buffers (3) while driving an RS232 output device.

		I do not LIKE the above fact, but I've found no
		solution to it.  There are just too few CPU cycles
		to handle all the interrupt-driven processing.
		Attempts to solve this have failed.

		If you were displaying the data on the console,
		the problem would not occur.

john mcmillan	-- att!mtunb!jcm -- saying "Good Byte for Now..."