Bug in time spec in HDB /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Wed Nov 29 13:24:02 AEST 1989

In article <614 at uncle.UUCP> jbm at uncle.UUCP (John B. Milton) writes:
>Surprise! If you put "Never" or "Nvr" or "DON'T" in the second field of
>the /usr/lib/uucp/Systems file (HDB only), it will consider it the SAME AS
>"Any". Yes, people on your system can poll those long distance sites! Ok,
>go ahead do a strings on /usr/lib/uucp/uucico and look around the "Su", "Wk"
>and "Any" strings. Don't see "Never" there do you? Well, there is a solution.
>There is an optional subfield on the time field, which when present substitutes
>a fixed retry time for the normal, exponential back retry time. When this
>subfield is present, the lack of a legal time string works the same as "Never"

>Sooo, if you wanted this:
>---
>system Never ACU Any - don't call this system, let them call us
>---

>use this:
>---
>system ; ACU Any - don't call this system, let them call us
>---

Unless I'm doing something wrong, mine works...

quad Never ACU12 1200 5551212 ...

uucico -r1 -x9 -squad  ...

mchFind called (quad)
list (rmail) num = 1
list (/usr/spool/uucppublic) list (/u/src) num = 2
list (/usr/spool/uucppublic) num = 1
list (rmail) list (/usr/bin/rnews) num = 2
_Request (TRUE), _Switch (TRUE), _CallBack (FALSE), _MyName (), _Commands rmail
_Commands /usr/bin/rnews
chdir(/usr/spool/uucp/quad)
conn(quad)
Wrong Time To Call: Never
Call Failed: WRONG TIME TO CALL
exit code 101
Conversation Complete: Status FAILED

I've never been able to get it to ignore the Never ...

________Robert J. Granvin________        INTERNET: rjg at sialis.mn.org
____National Computer Systems____          BITNET: rjg%sialis.mn.org at nic.mr.net
__National Information Services__            UUCP: ...amdahl!bungia!sialis!rjg
 "Insured against Aircraft, including self-propelled missiles and spacecraft."