ICUS Software Archive - Monthly update

Gil Kloepfer Jr. gil at limbic.UUCP
Wed Nov 29 17:22:10 AEST 1989

This ICUS archives have been significantly expanded since my last posting.
>From here on in, this message will only be posted monthly.  Feel free to
pass along the information to others who may need it.

Note that I have included additional information on the use of the "uucp"
command.  Also note that the archives are ONLY AVAILABLE BETWEEN 3AM and
NOON EST.  My apologies for not allowing additional availability, but I
need the modem for other things during the off-hours.

Enjoy!

==============

Archives are available between the hours of 3:00AM and 12:00PM (noon) EST.
All requests made outside this time will be rejected.  Access can be
made via 1200 or 2400 baud, or Trailblazer PEP speed.

Note that since the archive has been significantly expanded since its
creation three weeks ago.  Hopefully this will better serve the UNIX-pc
community.

File Name		Type		Description
---------		----		-----------

** Important Archive Stuff **

Index			T	Description of the software archives (this file)
Size			T	Directory (ls -ls) of software in the archive

** New Releases **

HD_Announce.Z		CT	Information on the ICUS 3B1 hard disk upgrade
				plans (what they contain and how to obtain them)
afio.shar.Z		CS	cpio with some enhancements, including the
				ability to read cpio archives from other than
				the first diskette
bf.shar.Z		CS	By Brant Cheikes - Maps a logical block number
				to an inode number
bof.minutes.Z		CT	Minutes from the UNIX-pc BOF at the Summer, 1989
				Usenix conference
chown.shar.Z		CS	Improved chown/chgrp/... utilities modified
				by Brant Cheikes to run on the UNIX-pc
compact.sh.Z		CS	By Andy Fyfe - Compacts (defragments) your hard
				disk.  Heed the README and use at YOUR OWN RISK
devfd.sh.Z		CS	By Mike (Ford) Ditto - implements /dev/fd on
				the UNIX-pc
dialpw.shar.Z		CS	Enables and maintains the dialup password
				mechanism (Sys V)
dis.shar.Z		CS	The MC68k disassembler, modified extensively by
				Alex Crain to work on the UNIX-pc
diskexe.sh.Z		CS	Hard disk exerciser/benchmark utility
dsk3.5.shar.Z		CS	A news article and some formatting scripts
				posted by Darren Friedlein describing how to
				use a 3.5" floppy on a UNIX-pc (someday to be
				accompanied with some additional notes I
				started writing - Gil)
fsanalyze.sh.Z		CS	Analyzes a hard disk for fragmentation and
				additional statistics
ivfix.shar.Z		CS	Patch to iv which allows >1024 cyl. to be
				formatted on a hard disk (when a WD2010 is
				installed in the UNIX-pc)
kdb.shar.Z		CS	The UNIX-pc kernel debugger
last.sh.Z		CS	BSD last(1)-style utility for Sys V
mtools.shar.Z		CS	Emmet Gray's MSDOS tools for Unix
nlist.shar.Z		CS	Display and monitor kernel variables.  I don't
				know if this works on the UNIX-pc, and will
				change this message when I do! (seems like a
				neat utility)
ofiles3b1.sh.Z		CS	Show open files on system
posix.shar.Z		CS	Posix-compatible C function library
pty.shar.Z		CS	pty driver
reroute.sh.Z		CS	Reroute a UUCP job under HDB UUCP
smail2.5.sh.Z		CS	smail 2.5 - Might be missing some patches,
				but useful for those needing a copy.
strings.shar.Z		CS	Find strings in a binary/object file
unstrp.shar.Z		CS	Unstrip a stripped object file
vidram.shar.Z		CS	Mike (Ford) Ditto's vidram driver, used as an
				example of a working UNIX-pc device driver
vifix.shar.Z		CS	Patch vi to eliminate the dangerous "modelines"
				option
vtem.shar.Z		CS	VT100 emulator (I believe this needs the pty
				driver also)
xtail.shar.Z		CS	"tail -f" multiple files - Requires some minor
				changes to compile on the UNIX-pc, if I recall
				correctly.

** From previous index... **

dirent.shar.Z		CS	Doug Gwyn's "dirent" routines - used in the
				development of some ICUS programs.
facedisp.sh.Z		CS	Program to display Usenix FaceSaver files
				on the UNIX-pc
fsokay.sh.Z		CS	Improved UNIX-pc /etc/rc script and a
				program to control when a fsck should be
				performed upon bootup.
log_init.sh.Z		CS	Program which prints useful information
				upon logging into your system.
man.shar.Z		CS	Replacement program for the System V "man"
				utility which provides some additional
				features (should work OK under BSD, but BSD
				man is generally robust enough).
newmgr.shar.Z		CS	A very nice replacement for wmgr and smgr
				written by Andy Fyfe and Scott Mueller.
tb-setup.sh.Z		CS	Telebit TrailBlazer setup scripts and usage
				instructions for HDB UUCP

----------------
Type code legend
----------------

	T = Text file
	C = Compressed (using "compress")
	S = Shell archive (shar) format  (/bin/sh file  or unshar to unarchive)
	P = Unix cpio format (cpio -icuvmd <file  to unarchive)

----------------------------------
Chat script and using the archives
----------------------------------

The following chat script should have the best results.  Note that you
should change the ACU and speed designation to whatever your local machine
supports.  We support 1200BPS, 2400BPS, and Telebit PEP speeds.

icusarch Any0300-1200 ACU 2400 15167946502 "" \r\d\r\d\r\d in:--in: icusarch

files may be requested by using the command:

$ uucp icusarch!~/file_name your_file_name

where file_name is the file name from the archive above, and
your_file_name is where you wish to copy the file on your system.

We suggest putting files received from the archive in /tmp or
/usr/spool/uucppublic because uucp cannot copy files to a directory it
can't access for write.