7300 and 9600 baud modems

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Fri Nov 24 10:56:10 AEST 1989

As another suggestion when evaluating modems or whatever, if you have a
modern terminal emulating a VT100(tm DEC), do NOT select VT100 mode when
you log into your UNIX system; select, instead, DT80 which is a VT100
without all the brain-damage.  In other words, DT80 mode does not have to
send the humongous number of pad characters to accomodate the slow 8080
in a real VT100.

The DT80 terminal (yes, I have some) is properly known as a DT80/1 and was
manufactured by Datamedia Corp.  It is one of the few PERFECT clones (and
without the bugs) of a VT100.

And when I say ``PERFECT'', I mean it.  I have the Per Lindberg VT100
validation suite, and the DT80 passes.   99.999% of the terminals and/or the
terminal-emulators available in the world today will FAIL the Per Lindberg
test within just a few seconds (and the test normally takes approx. 10 minutes
to run to completion).

``dt80'' is available in all termcap and terminfo data bases I've seen (i.e.
it's on the UNIXPC, SysV, HPUX, etc.)

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]