Is there word processing software for UNIX PC ??

Ronald K. Wright rwright at novavax.UUCP
Sun Nov 12 02:03:59 AEST 1989

kwmc at cbnewsj.ATT.COM (ken.cochran) writes:

>The UNIX PC has a number of keys (left side of the keyboard) which
>look ideal for word processing, however, apart from vi/ed/mm which is
>not really word processing, or some MS-DOs/DOS73 word processor, I am
>unaware of any word processing package for the UNIX PC.

There is SMART which is apparently written by Innovative Software of
Lenexa, Kansas.  It is a great package, currently up to revision 3.10
which was released about 9 months ago.  Getting support is a little
odd because you end up talking with AT&T folk, as the contract which
Innovative has(had?) with AT&T provides no support.  The thing with
the best Spread sheet and graphics I have ever used plus an uneeded
communications package and a data-base manager program retails for
~$900 bucks.  Its idea of integrating with unix is weird though, as
it goes through a new login if left to its own devices.
Also, it cannot be the word processor for electronic mail, at least I
have never figured out how to make it work as it will not take a file
name.  It appears to have beeen written to UNIX from DOS.

>Is there such a package ? under unix, and if so would some kind person
>be willing to help me get it and documentation ?

Call Smart in Lenexa, Ks they will give you the name of someone to
sell it to you.

>P.S. BONUS QUESTION
>	does anyone know what a UNIX-PC is  ... is it a 3b1 or a 7300 ?

It appears that UNIX-PC, 3b1, 7300 and S4 are all synonamous.
Some folk distinguish the 3b1 and the 7300 on the bump in the case and
a bigger power supply.  Both can be switched for little $.
--
R. K. Wright MD JD                     | office: medexam!rkw
Chief Medical Examiner, Broward County | nova:   novavax!rwright