v20i103: Perl, a language with features of C/sed/awk/shell/etc, Part20/24

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Fri Nov 10 04:32:31 AEST 1989

In article <995 at cgh.UUCP> paul at cgh.UUCP (Paul Homchick) writes:

>Aha! It's not just me.  Mine failed on test 3 and 4 of op.magic, and on
>tests 3 through 7 of op.mkdir.  This was with the standard 7300/3B1 cc.
>When I tried gcc (1.35) I had all kinds of grief including "Virtual
>Memory exhausted", "cc1 caught signal 11", and a perl executable which
>dumped core with an "illegal instruction."  I think I am going to give
>my gcc a looooonnnnng rest.

Odd.  I use gcc-1.35, on a 3b1 with 3.51a.  I got the "virtual memory
exhausted" message on a couple of files, which I compiled by hand without
-O.  Test 3 of op.mkdir failed because PERL is at the mercy of the
OS' handling of errors and cannot interpret the error from mkdir.

Nothing else failed.