Where or where has my memory gone? (UNIX pc)

John B. Milton jbm at uncle.UUCP
Sat Nov 11 16:33:26 AEST 1989

In article <577 at limbic.UUCP> gil at limbic.UUCP (Gil Kloepfer Jr.) writes:
>In article <1020 at icus.islp.ny.us> lenny at icus.islp.ny.us (Lenny Tropiano) writes:
>>Well my machine was up for 30 days, 20 hours, 14 minutes and it just
>>flipped out! Things were running slowly.  Does memory get fragmented
>>like disks do?
Slow down sounds like the clist problem. Was your disk doing lots of recals?
(unusual buzzing or humming on some drives)

>the nature of the devices you have, it might be a good idea to do
>a "ps -lef" and check the SZ and RSZ fields (I think those are memory,
>right folks?!) and see if any of them continuously increase from day to
>day.  One of these daemons might be eating your memory to oblivion!
But that is still the size(s) of the process, not the working set (the part
that wants to be in RAM all the time). Various RAM based fragmentation in the
kernel can slow the system down a little, but tremendously.

>>The last dying word of my machine was:
>>sysinfo: cannot read /dev/rfp002
Disk error bud, no other reason fo read failure, check /usr/adm/unix.log for
the bad news.

John
John Bly Milton IV, jbm at uncle.UUCP, n8emr!uncle!jbm at osu-cis.cis.ohio-state.edu
(614) h:252-8544, w:785-1110; N8KSN, AMPR: 44.70.0.52; Don't FLAME, inform!