Unix Pc Date/time

John Obrien x4089 obrien at kcdev.UUCP
Mon Oct 30 15:26:05 AEST 1989

I need some help.  My 7300 recently quit keeping date and time.
That is, when I do a shutdown and bring it back up again it's
Jan 1, 12:01 all over again.  Is this related to any program
malfunction or just a dead battery?  If it's the battery, how do
I change it?  I'm using 3.51.
While I have your attention perhaps someone would be interested
in my expeiriences of attaching an AT&T 7500S typewriter to the
7300/3B1.  I bought it shortly after buying my 7300, at the
company "sale" price of $299, with the intention of using it as
a letter quality printer.  Try as I might, and asking everyone
who might know how to do it, including the "hot line", I was
still unable to cable it as a printer.  BUT in the many and
futile attempts I suddenly found I was hooked up as a terminal
and once I established that I needed a non-screen oriented .profile
for the typewriter, I was able to log it on to the system and
once logged on I could 'cat' files to tty000 for letter quality
typeing and my problem was solved plus I had a terminal.  One of
the reasons for mentioning this is that there is now another 'sale'
of 7500S's for AT&T employee's for the same price $299.  Now
$299 was not to bad for this machine 2-3 years ago, but I think it
is about twice as high as it should be for the current state-of-art.
So write or call the sales center and tell them what you think of
their 'sales'.  Frankly most of the employee sales can be bettered
on the open market.