One 3B1: questions on going from 3.5 to 3.51?

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Thu Oct 26 13:41:34 AEST 1989

In article <1763 at naucse.UUCP> sbw at naucse.UUCP (Steve Wampler) writes:
|>I just got the 3.51 OS for my 3B1 (thanks guys, for making it
|>affordable).  Of course, I'd like to bring it up, but there
|>are some nagging questions:
..
You're welcome :-)

|>	(1) The installation guide claims that the 3.5 development
|>	    set will not work with the 3.51 foundation set.  True?
Do you believe everything you read? :-)   No, there were limited
changed to the 3.51 dev set, just a few bug fixes here and there.  Nothing
is stopping you from installing the 3.5 dev set under 3.51 OS.  AT&T
just wanted the $$$ from new OS's and new dev sets :-)

|>	(2) I've got a fair amount of odds and ends out there
|>	    (pty and other lddrvs, patched iv, etc.) that seem
|>	    like they will be affected in going from 3.5 to 3.51.
They should all work, without having to recompile them.  Software was
downward compatible...

|>	    I'd like to automate the process of restoring those things
|>	    I've added, any suggestions?
The installation of 3.51 (to upgrade from 3.5) allows you to keep
things like that intact on the hard disk.  All your user installed
programs will remain.  Just modified programs will be installed on
top of it.

|>	    I have a 2nd drive that still has around 30MB free on
|>	    it (two partitions: /usr/local and /usr/net).  Rather
|>	    than back everything to floppy, can I copy a bunch
Sure, that's as good of a backup as any.  Probably even more reliable
than floppies :-)  I do suggest a backup, it does aid in restoring
things that will inevitably be overwritten with the installation of 3.51.

|>	    to it once the 3.51 foundation set is in place (i.e.
|>	    will I have to teach the system (via the enhanced
|>	    diagnotic disk) about the 2nd drive all over again -
No, 3.51, like 3.5 has all the hidden hooks for the 2nd drive.  There is
no need to format the 2nd drive again.

|>        (4) Since the stuff I want to save is spread all over
|>	    the place (for example, the improved 'rc' from ICUS
|>	    is in /etc) is there an easy way to restore those
|>	    things selectively (see question 2 above)?

Well I think most of the system profiles, passwd files, etc... are
saved in a /u/SAVE3.5 and /u/CONV3.5.  If you look on the floppy
filesystem disk for 3.51, you will take notice of these references
in /mnt/etc/profile (on the floppy).  The file in /mnt/etc/convert/SPECIAL
contains the files that are saved/converted, etc...

I'd suggest making a backup, nevertheless... also you should be able
to ascertain the files that changed since the installation by doing a:

# find / -newer /etc/.installdate -print | xargs ls -ld

Good luck!
-Lenny
--
| Lenny Tropiano            ICUS Software Systems      [w] +1 (516) 589-7930 |
| lenny at icus.islp.ny.us     Telex; 154232428 ICUS      [h] +1 (516) 968-8576 |