SOCKET CODE & alex%nerwin.uucp at umbc3.umbc.edu

David Herron -- One of the vertebrae david at ms.uky.edu
Fri Oct 13 07:43:46 AEST 1989

I'm curious on something ...

Over in the amiga groups a guy there (Mat Dillon) is developing some
networking stuff which uses funky parallel cables as the network
medium.  The software is fast enough that remote file systems off
a remote hard disk work faster than a local floppy.

Since I have an Amiga as well as the Unix PC I'm interested in using
this network between my two machines.

I tried reading through this in the (good) hardware reference manual
but got a bit lost and haven't gotten back to it yet.  Will the parallel
port on the 3b1 do both input and output?  Will I need to write a
device driver before I can do input & output?  Anybody else attempting
the same?

(I know that I can do it -- It's just that I've just moved to the new
jersey (piscataway to be exact) area and I'm still unpacking and all that
garbage)  (btw, I'd be interested in meeting up with other people
in the nj area ...)
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david at ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david at UKMA.BITNET
<- New official address:  attmail!sparsdev!dsh at attunix.att.com