Now that I have my UnixPC... help...

Karl Swartz kls at ditka.UUCP
Sun Oct 8 04:51:10 AEST 1989

In article <380 at msdrl.UUCP> elliston at msdrl.UUCP (Keith Elliston) writes:

>First... How do I attach my Microcom 9624c to the RS232 port?  How do I
>configure it?  Can I use it both as a dial out and answer???

>From long and painful experience with a 9624c on a Sun, I would
configure it as a boat anchor.  It probably won't do that job any
better than it works as a modem, though.  I ended up dumping the
thing and replacing it with a DEC DF03 (1200 baud).  Since you've
got a 1200 baud modem in your UNIX PC, and it works reasonably
well, I'd suggest using it instead of the Microcom.  Or getting
a different external modem that won't give you eternal grief.

>2nd:  Where can I get a connector (adaptor) for the internal modem jack.
>It surely is not a standard RJ11.

It is standard RJ11.  Just get a modular cable and plug one end
into the modem, the other into the wall jack.

>3rd:  Who wants to set me up for news and mail?  What is the best News soft-
>ware?  Who can I call up for NEWS and Mail (any volunteers)....

You're welcome to call either ditka (San Jose) or royko (Chicago).
Both are PC Pursuitable, if that matters, and ditka has a Telebit
TrailBlazer.

>4th:  I sure could use some more memory (I only have 512k).. anyone got
>an extra memory expansion board???  Maybe even a combo board???

Can't help there.

>5th:  I would like to be able to access that 9th head on my disk... I guess
>that i need the WD2010.  Where can I find one.

The WD2010 will let you access more than 1024 cylinders, not much
of a help on your drive.  To access more than 8 heads you need the
P5.1 upgrade, or better yet, one of the dual drive upgrades offered
by Lenny Tropiano (icus!lenny) or John Milton (uncle!jbm), which
give you the benefits of the P5.1 upgrade and more.

--
Karl Swartz	|UUCP		{ames,lll-winken}!pacbell!ditka!kls
1-505/672-3113	|Internet	kls at ebnextk.slac.stanford.edu
1-408/223-1308	|BIX		kswartz
"I never let my schooling get in the way of my education."  (Twain)