.5 + .5 + .5 + 1.5 = 2.0 ?

Tom Tkacik tkacik at rphroy.UUCP
Thu Oct 19 22:41:30 AEST 1989

In article <4224 at itivax.iti.org> scs at itivax.iti.org (Steve Simmons) writes:

>I recently added a combo card with 1.5MB to lokkur, which already
>had .5 on the motherboard and 2 .5MB expansion cards.  Instead of
>getting 3.0MB, there's only 2.0.  Skipping the gruesome details,

You can only have 2 MB total expansion memory.  With the 1.5 MB combo board
and the 2 .5 MB memory boards, you have exceeded that limit.
But that does not explain why you do not the full 2. MB expansion memory.
That is because AT&T messed up the design of the combo board.

There is only one configuration that allows both a 1.5 MB and a .5 MB board
to be used together.  The two boards must in the correct slots,
(I do not remember which ones, but it is listed in the s4bus spec.),
and the 1.5 MB board must be addressed correctly.
AT&T did not design the memory addressing in the combo board to allow this.
Too bad :-(.

There is some hope however :-).  John Milton (in another heplful posting)
has posted instructions on how to modify the combo board.  I seem to have
misplaced them, but just maybe if wee ask nicely John will repost or
send them to you.

--
Tom Tkacik		GM Research Labs,   Warren MI  48090
uunet!edsews!rphroy!megatron!tkacik		Work Ph: (313)986-1442