problems with gcc - out of virtural memory

Steven L. Baur baur at venice.SEDD.TRW.COM
Sun Oct 22 07:03:49 AEST 1989

>From article <1989Oct21.174252.16142 at ivucsb.sba.ca.us>, by todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us (Todd Day):
> I was running gcc for the first time, compiling the latest version
> of NetHack.  ...
> So what is the problem?  Does gcc really hog that much memory?
> Todd Day  |  todd at ivucsb.sba.ca.us  |  ivucsb!todd at anise.acc.com

I tried compiling nethack with gcc too, but ran into different problems.
I have a UNIXPC with 2.5MB of ram and a 62MB winchester.  It compiled and
linked (apparently) O.K.
However, when I tried to save/restore levels or arrive on a bones level it
bombed.
I finally used stock cc and that got it running.

How much swap space do you have?

steve
--
steve	baur at venice.SEDD.TRW.COM