Fried Expansion Box

Richard Stueven gak at gakbox.Sun.COM
Tue Oct 10 02:59:26 AEST 1989

Help!  I need a net.hardware.guru!

We had a power failure in my apartment on Thursday, and after a few
minutes all the lights in the house came back on, except for the lights
on my expansion box.  The fan is spinning, but nothing else seems to
be getting any power.  Of course the 3B1 won't boot with a dead expansion
box.  So now I have a useless tape drive, a useless Voice Power board,
and a useless DOS-73 board.  (OK, so that was *already* useless...  :-)

Where do I start looking for faulty components?  The fuses are OK.
I don't see any sign of smoke inside the box.  I pulled all of the
boards out of the box and the lights still don't come on, so I don't
think the boards are to blame.

Please send suggestions to gak at sun.com, and I'll post a summary if
anyone's interested...

TIA

gak

Richard Stueven       gak at sun.com       ...!attmail!rstueven
***These opinions belong to Ernie and his little pal Gus.***
              ***He's mad!  Mad, I tell you!***