kill the arrow?

Robert J. Granvin rjg at sialis.mn.org
Fri Jul 29 12:00:23 AEST 1988

In article <1202 at flatline.UUCP> erict at flatline.UUCP (j eric townsend) writes:
>In article <6092 at chinet.chi.il.us>, dsueme at chinet.chi.il.us (dave sueme) writes:
>> Is it possible to kill that goddamned arrow?  How?
>

>Unplug the mouse and re-boot the machine.  Simple.

Not so simple.  After a short while, the arrow returns.

Attached below is a simple little routine written by Mark Colburn
(mark at jhereg.mn.org ... credit is given... :-) which will toast the
arrow.

To make the arrow go away, move it into the main window and run mouse.
If you leave the mouse in it's default start position and run mouse,
the arrow won't go away until you move it into the window.  This is
all I needed it to do, so that's as far as it went.  At least it's a
start if anyone wants to add to it, and if they do, please send it
along.

We thank you for your support.  :-)

----snipsnipsnip----snipsnipsnip----snipsnipsnip----snipsnipsnip----

/* mouse.c */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/window.h>
#include <sys/font.h>
#include <sys/wd.h>
#include <track.h>

int
main(argc, argv)
    int			argc;
    char               *argv[];
{
    struct umdata	mouseinfo;
    int			turnon;
    void		usage();
    struct icon		myicon;

    if (argc != 2)
	usage();
    if (argv[1][0] == '1')
	turnon = 1;
    else if (argv[1][0] == '0')
	turnon = 0;
    else usage();

    ioctl(0, WIOCGETMOUSE, &mouseinfo);

    if (turnon == 1)
	mouseinfo.um_icon = (struct icon *)NULL;
    else
	mouseinfo.um_icon = &myicon;

    ioctl(0, WIOCSETMOUSE, &mouseinfo);
}

void
usage()
{
    fprintf(stderr, "mouse: [ 0 | 1 ]\n");
    exit(1);
}

----snipsnipsnip----snipsnipsnip----snipsnipsnip----snipsnipsnip----

--
"I've been trying for some time to                           Robert J. Granvin
 develop a life-style that doesn't          National Information Systems, Inc.