TEST

Michael I. Bushnell mike at unmvax.cs.unm.edu
Wed Jul 12 12:39:59 AEST 1989

	A Handy Guide To English Grammar

	      (Original Version)

Pronouns:

Person   Number  Nominative Possesive Genitive Objective Reflexive/Intensive
   1    Singluar     I         my       mine      me         myself
   1    Plural       we        our      ours      us         ourselves

   2    Singular     thou      thy      thine     thee        thyself
   2    Plural       ye/you    your     yours     you/ye      yourselves

   3    Singular     he        his      his       him         himself
   3    Singular     she       her      hers      her         herself
   3    Singular     it        its      its/it    it          itself
   3    Plural       they      their    theirs    them        themselves

Notes:  The use of you as nominative and ye as objective are rare.
        The use of it as genitive has privative meaning, with its used
        otherwise.

Modern usage:
   Thou is used only to indicate great respect for the addressee.  The use
   of ye in the nominative is restriced to imperative sentences, and uses
   inverted word order.  The use of ye in the objective is rare, and gives
   an archaic tone.  You is used with singular meaning, with an additional
   declension yourself.  They is used with singular meaning to indicate
   indifference with repect to the gender of the referent.  In all cases,
   however, the original conjugations are tied to the pronoun used (grammatical
   number and person) not the meaning of the sentence (actual number and
   person).  For example, "When a teacher speaks, they speak clearly."

Conjugations:

   (Soft verbs:)

     Present indicative:
   I open
   thou openest
   it opens
   he/she openeth
   we/you/they open

     Past, indicative and subjunctive:
   I/thou/it/he/she/we/you/they opened

     Present subjunctive:
   I/thou/it/he/she/we/you/they open

     Present Imperative:
   open thou
   open ye

     Present infinitive and supine:
   to open

     Present participle and gerund:
   opening

     Past participle:
   opened

   (Hard verbs:)
     Present indicative:
   I come
   thou comest
   it comes
   he/she cometh
   we/you/they come

     Past, indicative and subjunction:
   I/it/he/she/we/you/they came
   thou camest

     Present subjunctive:
   I/thou/it/he/she/we/you/they come

     Present imperative:
   come thou
   come ye

     Present infinitive and supine:
   to come

     Present participle and gerund:
   coming

     Past participle:
   came

Notes:  The "th" form is for animate subjects, they "s"
form for inatimate
        subjects, in the present indicative.  There is a class of "semi-hard"
        verbs with the past tense formed like hard verbs and the past
        participle formed like soft verbs, or vice versa.

Modern usage: The "th" form in the present indicative is replace by the "s"
       form for all subjects.
   Michael I. Bushnell       \     This above all; to thine own self be true
     Silence == Death         \    And it must follow, as the night the day,
  mike at unmvax.cs.unm.edu      /\   Thou canst not be false to any man.
Telephone: +1 505 292 0001   /  \  Farewell:  my blessing season this in thee!