autobauding a TrailBlazer on a UNIX PC

Kevin O'Gorman kevin at kosman.UUCP
Wed May 25 17:23:36 AEST 1988

In article <1030 at astroatc.UUCP> mag at astroatc.UUCP (Michael A. Goldsmith) writes:
]
]In article <282 at ditka.UUCP> kls at ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:
]>
]>I recently put a TrailBlazer on my 3B1 (UNIX PC) and now
]>I can't in a 1200 baud.  I've got /etc/gettydefs set to
]>start with 19200, drop to 2400, then to 1200.  The first
]>to work fine, but not 1200.
]>  [deleted]
]
]It is not necesasary to auto-baud at all with the Trailblazer.
]You can set a register (S66=1, I believe.  My manual is at home.)
]   [deleted]
]The same thing happens on an outgoing call.  Thus, you can set up
]your /usr/lib/uucp/L* files to place all calls at 9600 (or whatever)
]and uucp will be unaware that the actual communication is taking
]place at a lower rate.

Well and good, but there is a problem if you do this: if you call
other 'blazers that have S92 set to 1 so that UNIX PC's using the
On Board Modem (or other PCs and other setups) won't time
out waiting for the proper answer tones, you wind up connecting
at 1200 baud on a pair of modems capable of over 8 times that speed!

You really want some control over how the connection is made.  You
may want to be setting S50 for some of your outgoing calls.
There may be a way of doing all this, but it hasn't occurred to me
yet.