autobauding a TrailBlazer on a UNIX PC

Michael A. Goldsmith mag at astroatc.UUCP
Tue May 24 01:47:59 AEST 1988

In article <282 at ditka.UUCP> kls at ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:

>I recently put a TrailBlazer on my 3B1 (UNIX PC) and now
>I can't in a 1200 baud.  I've got /etc/gettydefs set to
>start with 19200, drop to 2400, then to 1200.  The first
>to work fine, but not 1200.
>
>Swapping 1200 and 2400 makes 1200 work, but then 2400
>won't work.  It seems that it won't go to the third
>choice, whichever it is.
>
>Any ideas?  BTW, this is running uugetty and HDB with
>3.51a system software.

It is not necesasary to auto-baud at all with the Trailblazer.
You can set a register (S66=1, I believe.  My manual is at home.)
that locks the serial line betweeen the modem and the 3B1 at
9600 or whatever you wish to use.  When a call comes in, the modem
negotiates baud rates with the calling modem and then communicates
with the caller at that rate.  The serial line remains at the
locked-in rate.

The same thing happens on an outgoing call.  Thus, you can set up
your /usr/lib/uucp/L* files to place all calls at 9600 (or whatever)
and uucp will be unaware that the actual communication is taking
place at a lower rate.

BTW, you can also chose (check the manual, I don't remember which register)
whether to use XON/XOFF or RS-232 handshake signals for flow control.

Hope this helps.

Michael A. Goldsmith
Name:	Michael A. Goldsmith
UUCP:	... {seismo | harvard | ihnp4} !uwvax!astroatc!mag
arpa:   astroatc!mag at rsch.wisc.edu
usmail:	5800 Cottage Gr. Rd. ;;; Madison WI 53716
phone:	608-221-9001 X117

The options expressed above are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of my employer.