Eliminating Modem Errors...A Hint

Ted Campbell tcamp at numen.UUCP
Sat Nov 5 01:21:39 AEST 1988

Our local dataswitch has been messing up, and this seems to
confound my Unix PC.  After several tries to connect, it
begins giving the message MAX RECOUNT...etc.  which evidently
is to be translated, "Sir or Madam, I am quite tired of
attempting to communicate with the incommunicative computer
with which you have requested that I should communicate.
Henceforth, therefore, I obstinately refuse to speak, yea,
even to dial, said computer."

After much searching and no help from the manuals, I
have discovered that in /usr/spool/uucp there are files
named STST.sys where 'sys' is the name of the system with
which you are to communicate.  If you become 'su' and
eliminate this file, your Unix PC will again at least
attempt to communicate.  Prior to discovering this,
my only recourse was to shutdown and restart.

And that, I think, is most objectionable.

Wouldn't you agree?

--
|Ted A. Campbell                 |Duke Divinity School |
|                                |Durham, NC     27706 |