UUCP problem: Mac II --> UNIXPC

Elliot B Dierksen ebd at cup.portal.com
Thu Feb 2 10:19:16 AEST 1989

Todd Days writes:
> I am trying to establish a uucp connection between a Mac II and
> a UNIXPC.  It is a direct 19200 serial line.  My UNIXPC can
> establish a uucico with the Mac, but the Mac can't initiate a
> uucico session itself.
[some of explanation of problem deleted]
> On my UNIXPC, in /usr/spool/uucp/LOGFILE, I get an
> error message about BAD LOGIN/MACHINE NAME.

The problem is (I am pretty sure!) that the logname that the MAC is using is
not in the USERFILE. if that is not the case, check the order in which the
lognames appear in your passwd files. uucico establishes the logname of the
caller in a strange way. first it takes the UID number assigned by login from
the logname keyed by the user, then it looks for the first logname that
matches that UID number. case in point if your passwd file had these entries
in this order:

uucpadm::6:5:UUCP:/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucico
nuucp::6:5:UUCP:/usr/spool/uucppublic:/usr/lib/uucico

uucico would try and use uucpadm as the logname, and if it were not in
USERFILE, it would give you the BAD LOGIN message you described. when i
encountered this problem, it was because one of the machines i UUCP with
sorted its passwd file and blew uucico's mind!

check out the things i mentioned there. if that is not the problem, send me
some e-mail. i'm a battle-scarred veteran of the different machine uucp
connectivity war!!  Good Luck!

Elliot Dierksen
ebd at cup.portal.com