v11i020: Idle demon

William Lewis wiml at milton.u.washington.edu
Tue Aug 28 11:39:51 AEST 1990

In article <L3VFo1w162w at cybrspc> cybrspc!roy at cs.umn.edu (Roy M. Silvernail) writes:
>Now, the question in my mind (and this really has nothing to do with the
>original thread :-) is... which type is SEAlink? I have used it on
>several systems, and had varying results. In some cases, it has behaved
>as a streamer (with no activity seen on the alternate-channel modem
>light), and sometimes it's acted like a sliding-window, if not downright
>packetized.

   Well, last I checked, SEAlink was a very lightly modified XMODEM (CRC)
and sliding window. Basically, the ACK/NAK byte was expanded to a
very small (3 or 5 byte) packet containing the last valid packet received.
The window size defaulted to something on the order of 6 XMODEM packets.
I have no idea why it wouldn't show activity on the return channel; maybe
the modem light flickered too briefly for a packet only 5 bytes long?
Or maybe the protocol has been updated since I looked at it, though
I doubt it.

  [Note also that using SEA products is sometimes considered politically
incorrect, after SEA sued PKWare ... though, SEAlink *is* a nice clean
protocol .. and this doesn't belong in this group anyway.]

--
wiml at blake.acs.washington.edu       Seattle, Washington  | No sig under
(William Lewis)  |  47 41' 15" N   122 42' 58" W  |||||||| construction