Archive-name

jfh at rpp386.UUCP jfh at rpp386.UUCP
Mon Aug 27 17:25:40 AEST 1990

In article <9008211455.AA02499 at talos.pm.com> kjones at talos.pm.com (Kyle Jones) writes:
>The poster of a useful program might well think it's not much to
>ask that recipients look at the article and decide where to file
>it.  Some people don't care if their program is archived or not.

The point about an Archive-Name: header is not to make it easier
for users, but rather to make it easier for archivers.

What is wrong with Peter's insistence that everyone add an
Archive-Name: header is the incorrect assumption that everyone
wants to have that particular version of that particular
program archived.  I, for one, frequently use alt.sources to
release test versions of code that I most certainly don't
want archived.  Posters should be permitted to decide if they
want their postings archived.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh at rpp386.cactus.org
"SCCS, the source motel!  Programs check in and never check out!"
		-- Ken Thompson