archive names (was: Re: wp2latex (1 of 4))

Angus Duggan ajcd at cs.ed.ac.uk
Sat Aug 11 20:53:22 AEST 1990

In article <6443 at helios.ee.lbl.gov>, leres at ace.ee.lbl.gov (Craig Leres) writes:
> Peter da Silva writes:
> > Is it *really* too much to ask that people include an Archive-name: entry
> > in postings to alt.sources? It is such a little thing, and saves countless
> > hours of poring through files with names like "30Jul90.17652". Just put, on
> > the first line of the message:
>
> Yes, I think it *really* is.
>
> The poor suckers can't remember to post alt.sources discussion to
> alt.sources.d, how do you expect them to remember to add your header?

I don't think that because other people can't remember to follow the
etiquette, or add archive-name headers, is any reason not to do it yourself.
I added archive-name headers to my recent posting of pbmtopk precisely because
of Peter's persistent reminders to the world (hope they worked, Peter :-).

> Personally, I think you should just give it up (and I'm sure you'll
> flame me for saying so). Meanwhile, the rest of us will just kick back

No flame, just despair that the "poor suckers" don't use (un)common sense.

> 		Craig
A.
==
Angus Duggan, Department of Computer Science,	| Ignorance of the manual is
University of Edinburgh, JCMB,			| no excuse.
The King's Buildings, Mayfield Road,		| JANET:  ajcd at uk.ac.ed.lfcs
Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, Scotland.	| OR:  ajcd%lfcs.ed.ac.uk at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk